Friday, February 17, 2012

Favorite Things Friday - February 17th

At the Life in Pieces abode this Friday is an off work, out of school day.  Drama Teen is out due to a teacher in service and the rest of the family is taking our 19/30 day off work.  With all the running we've been doing, plus that which is still left on the schedule for the next few weeks, the plan is to have a slow, slothful day.  Even My Guy is still in his pjs this morning.  


I'm a bit late in getting to this week's Favorite Things Friday event, so graciously hosted each week by Shay over at Quilting in My Pyjamas.  I made the mistake of starting a really good book and my intent to just read a chapter while the computer was booting turned into several chapters.  So before it gets any later, on to the FTF part of the post.  


This week's favorite was brought to mind by Barbara over at Cat Patches.  She's in the process of restoring a quilt made with nursery rhyme blocks embroidered by her mother. When I was a little girl, my grandmother would hand embroidery printed blocks that she would later make into a quilt. A couple of those quilts were the subject of previous FTF post.  Watching Barbara restore her mother's blocks brought to mind that at one time, I loved to embroider too and had a set of completed embroidered blocks that had never been set into a quilt.  After a bit of digging around in the sewing room I found that set.  




I remember working on these blocks, but I don't remember when they were finished.  Maybe about the time I finished high school?  Roses are my favorite flower and my wedding colors were blue and yellow, so obviously I've liked that combination for a long time.  I'll apologize for the state of the blocks, I just put them up on design wall as is.  They really do need to be pressed.  


In the same pile there were 6 more completed blocks that I think are supposed to be a set. 




I remember working on the goose blocks, but don't remember the 3 paler pink blocks.  My Guy has recently been suggesting that my memory isn't what it used to be.  He may be right.  Along with the completed blocks I found this set that has obviously been started, but I don't remember starting them. 




Purple is another favorite color, though I usually pair it with yellow, not green.  But that color combination looks good in these blocks. 


In the pile were also two sets of printed blocks that have never been started. 




I have no idea how old these are. 


In with the quilt blocks was a partially embroidered baby quilt that I started before Drama Teen was born.  Plus one partially embroidered table runner, one table runner still in the package, two sets of unstarted pillow cases, along with one counted cross stitched afghan about half done and several other counted cross stitch projects in various stages of completion.  Think maybe my subconscious was trying to protect me from remembering this whole set of UFOs?  I'm sure that's the case.  


I haven't embroidered seriously in years, probably since starting that baby quilt for DT.  Embroidery was a favorite past time in my younger years, in part because it was something I could share with my grandmother.  We would sit together in her living room sometimes and talk while both of us were busy stitching in our hoops.  Times I wouldn't trade for anything.  



10 comments:

Denise :) said...

Oh my gosh, your embroidery blocks are gorgeous!! I've just started playing around with embroidery in the last six months or so, and I am enjoying it thoroughly. I hope you all enjoy your cozy, long weekend!! :)

quiltygal said...

How lovely to have those memories of stitching times with your Grandmother...so are you going to finish all these blocks now you have re-discovered them....

Shay said...

My favourite part of this post was the memory you have of sharing quiet sewing times with your grandmother.

But ...you have amazing super embroidery skills too. All your work is so beautiful.

Enjoy that bonus day off.

You tell My Guy Im forgetting stuff too- I think that means both you and I are trying to do too much ...

Marg said...

wow lovely blocks. I used to embroider, but I don;'t enjoy doing it now that I have to wear glasses to see the stitching.
So nice to have those memories.

Helsie said...

I used to embroider too when I was a kid... and have also done some of those cross stitch tablecloths on check material in my twenties. I should get back to it although now I have to contend with failing eyesight in the dim lighting of our TV room.
Cheers

thea said...

Love the embroidery. What a wonderful memory of your grandmother ..

seabreezequilts said...

I came late to embroidery. Thanks for sharing great memories. Beautiful work you need to finish it now you've shown us

Pat said...

You have some great memories and stitcheries. As far as memory goes, I always think the brain can only hold so much stuff so something's got to go out before something new can come in. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I am not losing my mind!

Suzanne said...

Your embroidery is lovely. How special that you have been reunited with those lovely blocks and their beautiful memories.

AnnieO said...

Lovely embroidery! Cross-stitch I just love but have never done one of those pillowcases or kits like that. Wonderful that you found some completed blocks to play with!How sweet that you and your grandmother shared stitching time, love that.