Saturday, November 11, 2017

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Slow Finishing Mode?

Yesterday was supposed to have been a vacation day.  I didn't have to go into work, but unfortunately end of the year budget stuff plus a new special project necessitated a few hours on the work computer.  I didn't get as much sewing time as planned, but I managed to get in a good solid afternoon of stitching.  

I was checking out blogs this morning while enjoying my second cup of coffee and read Kathy's Quilts RSC post this morning.  She was commenting on the number of RSC projects she had that hadn't yet made it to the finished stage.  That got me thinking, how many RSC projects did I have finished and unfinished?  I starting playing along with Angela's monthly challenges back in 2012.  In the five years since, I've started seven RSC quilts.  Only two are finished (The 2014 RSC sampler (Flame Test) and my first RSC project, But First Coffee).  So there are five left unfinished.  Angela designated November as either dark or finish it up month.  I've been working on finishing off this year's project with the scrappy Fan blocks.  The last five orange blocks are in over at the sewing machine in various stages of completion.



The orange blocks will get finished this weekend.  The last color is magenta.  The pattern calls for 16 blocks with dark center and lighter sides.  After a bit of trial and error, the pairs came together this morning. 



The darks are the two middle rows, with the lights being the two outside rows.  I'm hoping to get going on these blocks this weekend.  

Since I was cutting orange fabrics for the Fan blocks, I took a bit more time to start cutting the for the Sawtooth Stars that will be the border for 2014's Inverted Star RSC project.  The flying geese are done for the first block. 



This block will finish at 4" x 5".  It's been a while since I've made a block that small.  The border needs 60 something stars.  This quilt won't get done this year, but at least it's back on the "in progress list". 

The current leaders and enders project is last year's RSC project, Vintage Dresses.  


  Vintage Dresses
by 
Charise Randell

The plan is to add coping strips to get the blocks to a consistent 9.5" x 12.5" before starting on the sashing.  I doubt this quilt gets finished either.  But I have high hopes that these three projects will get finished sometime next year.  

You can see more dark scrappy fun and finishes in progress over at Soscrappy.  Also will be linking up with Oh Scrap on Sunday.  

19 comments:

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I just love that dress quilt.
I have plenty of RSC projects yet to finish myself. I've made a little progress this year, but I have probably about 5 to finish up myself.

Quilter Kathy said...

The RSC encourages such creativity and these are all such wonderful projects!
Good luck moving some of them closer to the finishing stage!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

My moods seem to vary when it comes to deciding whether to make new blocks or work on a finish! (And I think that has to do with what's going in the rest of my life!) Sounds like a good idea to cut a few pieces for an older project while you've got that bin out for the newer project!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I can say that your post today "is a bright one"--each of your projects that you are working on are nice and bright!! and lovely!!
I had thought that I had made more head way on my ufo's this year--but the pile of ufo's is still tall--soooo????
enjoy the moments,di

The Joyful Quilter said...

If your RSC projects are SEW involved, I wouldn't worry about the fact that several haven't been completed. Especially, since you are still working on some of them!! They will get done whenever they get done. Just THINK how happy you will be when that time comes!!

Cheryl said...

I really like how your orange fan-like blocks are coming together.

AnnieO said...

That's a lot of happy sewing hours represented in these projects! Hope they all make it to real quilt status next year.

PaulaB quilts said...

Good luck finishing those Quilts. I think we all are in the same boat. I'm using these two months to get some done. Love those dresses. It was nice to see them again.

Monica said...

Those vintage dresses are gorgeous! It will be so good to see it finished. :D

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how fast all those unfinished projects pile up. They are all so different it gives you a nice variety of projects to work on.

Kate said...

You've got them in progress, at least! I've finished one, but my two in progress have been in progress since at least 2015. And I want to start a new one next year!

Julie in GA said...

You are making good progress on all these projects. I continue to be very curious about how those fan blocks will be set together. I love the dresses and the Inverted Stars too.

Jayne said...

It's sometimes easier to put something aside and think about it later! I'm sure you will have the in the done list soon enough! I'm excited to see how that orange one comes together! Good luck with the WIPS!

Sheila said...

I LOVE your little dresses!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great blocks, I do hope you finish it! I also have too many RSC projects started and not finished. I am really hoping I get one top done before 2018 starts.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Every time I see your dresses, I want to make some of my own! I might just have to make a few blocks for hot pads. Not to use...Just to enjoy!

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Katie Z. said...

Ooh, la la! You make much more intense projects than I do, so I can see why they don’t get finished. You are still persevering, and sometimes that’s all we can do, isn’t it?

thea said...

Those vintage dresses are so fun!

Sandy Panagos said...

The vintage dresses are adorable. Can't wait to see it finished!